Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Slice of Life: Fourth of July

Ruth and Stacey at Two Writing Teachers
host the Slice of Life every Tuesday.
     I used to love the 4th of July.

     When I was a kid we had this Independence Day parade in my neighborhood.  It was not the kind of parade that they close streets for and make floats for.  It was a cheap, noisy, exuberant celebration of the holiday and our neighbors.  We decorated bikes, tricycles, and wagons, and then the whole group of people proceeded to march through the neighborhood throwing confetti, ringing bells, and singing or yelling.  It was a celebration of where we lived as much as the holiday.  We enjoyed being around the other families in the neighborhood and had a free and fun time.
     After the parade, we often loaded up the car and drove off to my grandparents' house.  Each year our extended family could depend on two gatherings, one at Christmas and one on July 4th.  My grandparents lived in a nice neighborhood which was walking distance from one of the bigger parks in Madison where they set off fireworks.  Every year my family had excellent seats for the fireworks in the front yard of my grandparents' house or the balcony.  Kids would be running around and we would pig out on the amazing potluck of treats that had been made for that day.  Some years a group of us kids would walk with a few of the moms to the park, where they had a carnival.  I remember coming back from the carnival with all kinds of junk, which at the time was treasure.  I mean, who wouldn't want a big pair of clown sunglasses with flag designs?  The best part of these days was just the time spent with family.
     As a child, there is nothing better than a free parade followed by a family picnic.  
   
     Then, in the summer of 1991, when I was 13, this holiday changed forever.  On July 2nd, 1991, my father died.  He was at home when he suffered a second heart attack that his pacemaker just couldn't stop.  I was the one who called 9-1-1 and watched my mother lose her mind with grief.  He was rushed to the hospital but no one could do anything for him at that point.  That summer, the 4th of July celebrations did not exist for us.  The only thing I remember about the week that this happened is that I went out with some friends to get out of the house for a few hours.  We went to a small firework display in a town nearby and all I wanted to do was go home.  I think this is why I think of my dad whenever I see fireworks.  Independence Day is a lot less fun nowadays.

   Today is the 22nd anniversary of my father's death.  I cannot believe it has been so long since I last saw him.  This week I will celebrate the 4th of July with my sister, her husband, and their baby.  I am so excited to share this holiday with them.  With a new baby in the family, maybe it is time to start a new tradition.  So on Thursday we will cookout, have some beer, and enjoy our time together.  Perhaps we will even find some fireworks to watch.

Happy 4th of July Everyone!

 

8 comments:

  1. I hope your are able to recapture some of the joy of your earlier celebrations this year. My own mom was killed in a small plane crash on the 4th of July and the crash site was not found until July 10th her birthday. I was 22 and that was 35 years ago. So I truly understand. It wasn't until last year that I decided to start celebrating my wonderful mom on this anniversary instead of remembering the tragedy of the loss. Maybe it won't take you so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you shared with me. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. That must have been awful waiting to find out what had happened to your mom. The fact that it was her birthday too must have made this a very difficult time of the year for you each year. Glad to see that you have been able to turn it around to a celebration of your mom. I hope I can do the same.

      Delete
  2. Andrea, I'm so happy for to be with family and turn the your 4th back around to a day to cherish. I'll be thinking about you,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It helps that I get to be around a smiling and cheerful baby :)

      Delete
  3. Andrea, Thank you for sharing this slice with us... I am constantly reminded that life is not the same for everyone, and it's so good for us to see through another person's eyes. May this fourth be a celebration of the new life in your lives. Maybe you'll see your father in the sparkles that rain down from the sky this year. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love how you put that...so poetic!

      Delete
  4. So sorry about your dad. I lost my dad when I was in my thirties,just a few days before Christmas, and I can't even imagine what it would have been like to lose him as a child. It sounds like the Fourth was a really special holiday for your family. I hope you can reclaim that this year!

    ReplyDelete