Saturday, March 14, 2015

Slice of Life: Adventures in Kidney Stones 3/14

I am participating again this year in the Slice of Life challenge in which we write a slice every day in March.  If you are interested in joining in, visit the Two Writing Teachers blog for more information.

I woke up to my husband screaming for me from the bathroom. I ran to the bathroom and found him huddled over the sink, trying to support himself, and going through dry heaves. My dog and I watched helplessly for a minute or so, and then I ran downstairs to get the phone. As soon as I got back upstairs, my husband collapsed down onto all fours. He kept heaving and pointed to a spot on his lower back that was blinding pain. I called 9-1-1. After a couple minutes, he was able to stand back up and by the time the ambulance got here, he was able to walk out to the vehicle and was not experiencing the same level of pain. I hopped into the ambulance with him (which in hindsight was sort of foolish) and we were transported to the Emergency Room. 

Once there, it was obvious that everyone thought it was a kidney stone. There were a couple tests and the diagnosis was confirmed. A couple hours in the ER, some medicine, some IV fluids, a lot of water, and he was ready to be discharged. We then had to call a cab to get home. 

Once home, I ushered my husband off to bed, and grabbed my phone and keys and the handful of prescriptions and headed off to the 24-hour Walgreen's nearby. Walgreen's at 3am is a really weird place. Of course, there was a ridiculous customer taking up the pharmacist's time and attention. I waited about ten minutes before that man finally stopped asking stupid questions and complaining to the pharmacist about another pharmacist who had told him that he wouldn't fill the prescription before 4am. Finally, the man left and I gave the pharmacist the prescriptions. As luck would have it, my husband hasn't ever used Walgreen's for prescriptions. The pharmacist had to enter all his information and then his computer froze in the middle of the process and he had to start all over again. Once he had the information in, he set about getting the prescription ready and was done quickly. 

I finally drove back home and went to bed at 4am. I am so relieved that my husband is okay. I never want to wake up this way again. The night brought back vivid memories of my father's heart-attacks. I am glad I react well to situations like this without panic, but I don't want to be this worried about people I love ever again. 


  1. Glad he's feeling okay! I'm sure that was a scary situation to wake up to, but you're a trooper. Good luck with recovery.

  2. I'm glad he is feeling better. I loved how you weaved your piece together.

  3. What a way to wake up. I could feel the adrenaline rush. I hope to never have a kidney stone as I have heard too many stories like this of the pain! You did what you had to do in the moment, without panic. That takes courage.

  4. I am so glad to hear all is well again. I could feel the fast past of your heart beating as I read your slice. I think mine was beating as fast while I was reading it. You captured the moment so well and I hope it's one you'll never have to repeat.

  5. This was so well written, I felt scared the whole time. I'm glad you're all ok.

  6. Wow! My heart was pounding as I read! I knew as soon as you said he pointed to his back...ugh. Kidney stones are no joke! I'm glad he's doing alright and you both survived this scary moment.